GoodNight Harvey interview
interview with Alec Negus from Goodnight Harvey
1.so how did Goodnight Harvey form?
It started off as a little college band which wasn't really that serious to start with. Me, Sean, Paul and Maciek were the original members and started writing metal songs. Each week we got given a different style to write a song with, but we managed to keep our sound throughout all the styles. As we got to know each other more, we became closer as a band and we all eventually had the same music taste which made it easier for us in the writing process.
2.How has the band progressed from then?
Well, at one point, we all went off joining other bands because of college. I was in a punk/rock band, sean was in a post hardcore band, maciek went in a different metal band, and paul joined funk/reggae band. I then felt unsatisfied with college bands, so I decided to look on gumtree for metal bands to join around Bristol so I can learn from older people with more experience of the msic industry. That's how I joined a band called 'The Summa In Verse' which is a trancecore band. The band needed a guitarist and a bassist to get going, so I asked paul if he wanted to join with me and he accepted. I feel that we all learned a lot from joining other bands as we all gained skill and how to use a rehearsal time productively.
3.I see you have John the new guitarist with you, what impact has he brought to the band?
As we all went on doing different things like joining other bands and working with different people, there wasn't much time for Goodnight Harvey. We all got together and agreed to perform our last gig at The Thunderbolt. We rehearsed hard for that gig and wrote new songs for it, but the turn out was so good that everyone but paul decided to keep the band going. Paul turned down the offer because he was more focused on the band that I was in with him 'The Summa In Verse', so Goodnight Harvey had to find a new screamer and a bassist. I knew this kid at my college could scream and sing called 'Alec Negus' who was a fan of our band anyway, so I asked him if he wanted to scream for our band, and he was buzzing for it. Then all we needed was a bassist, so we asked someone who is into metal core who plays bass at my college called 'Tom Lloyed', he accepted the offer, but he didn't have the time for us because his job at Sainsbury's took over. At this point, it was the summer holidays, so the band was on a break for a while, I was still practicing with 'The Summa In Verse', Maciek got his girlfriend pregnent, Alec was on holiday in America, and Sean was going to festivals. Then one day I walked to my local shop, and that's when I met morgan. I asked him if he wanted to come to mine for a jam, because I knew he played bass and we got along really well, so then I asked him if he wanted to join Goodnight Harvey. At this point we had our full members, so we started rehearsing songs and teaching them. Everything was going well untill Maciek couln't afford to pay for practices and he didn't have the time for us because he had to support his child. I knew john for a while, but because he was mates with morgan, we because closer as friends and he would come round and jam Goodnight Harvey songs with me. Even before Maciek left, I knew he wouldn't be able to stay in the band for a lot longer because of his baby. John was really eager to join Goodnight Harvey before Maciek left anyway so when he did, I went up to john and asked him. That is how John became a member. I think it is good because he lives near me and so does Morgan, so it means we can practice more and become tighter as a band.
4.describe the differences between your new EP and the old EP?
Obviously our old E.P was with the original members and we didn't use very good software or equipment for it. Over the years since the old E.P got released we've had more experience with writing songs and when we were writing the old songs, we didn't really know what sound we were going for as everyone was into different music. I feel the new songs mean a lot more to us all as they relate to us and they can also relate to a lot of people because it's about finding out who you are, which is a question that we all ask ourselves.
5.Whats next for Goodnight Harvey?
I can't tell what will happen but we plan on releasing an E.P in December which will hopefully get more fans so we can get more gigs. I feel that as long as we are dedicated to what we love doing then nothing can go wrong. Were all about enjoying ourselves and we want to spread a message to everyone telling them to not give a fuck what everyone thinks of them because we are all here for a reason, It's who we are. We should never let society bring us down. That is basically what our E.P is about.
6.Where can readers next catch you guys?
we have a gig at the Exchange on 10th November. We will be playing our whole E.P plus a metal cover of A team by Edd Sheeren.
No comments:
Post a Comment